Are you looking to buy a computer, but not sure if you want a desktop or a laptop? It can be difficult to choose between laptops and desktop computers.
Weigh your options carefully because once you choose you want to be happy with your choice. Sometimes knowing the disadvantages and advantages of having either a laptop or a desktop can help tremendously in the decision. Knowledge before the purchase is always a good thing!
We'll walk you through your options and help you make the right decision for you.
Pros of a desktop:
1. More bang for the buck. If you like to play games, or are a gamer, then a desktop will be the best option. You can get better graphics, better monitors, faster processors, etc. Everything is bigger on a desktop so there is plenty of room to put in some nice features without sending up the cost.
2. Cost less. A desktop will usually cost you less money for the same or (almost always) better components. Althought you can sometimes find a new low cost laptop sometimes where the owner wants to sell at any cost, for multiple reasons.
3. Easier to use. Let's face it, with a desktop you can purchase a nice keyboard, mouse, desk, ect built for comfort. A laptop isn't always comfortable to use, especially if you are in the middle of traveling. (by car, bus, plane or ferry)
4. Easy to upgrade. A desktop is much easier to remove or add components to than a laptop.
5. Easy to keep track of. In other words, someone has to break in to get it.
6. More memory and hard drive space. The memory capacity and hard drive space are usually much greater (and cheaper) than for a laptop.
Cons of a desktop:
1. Stuck in one place. When you use a desktop you have to sit down in the same place to use it. No mobility. There are companies that have whole divisions devoted to moving equipment around because of this fact. When it comes to cons of a desktop mobility is the biggest and about the only one. All onther complaints can usually be fixed, or ungraded to be tolerated.
Pros of a Laptop:
1. Mobile. You can go anywhere you want to and still have access to a computer. Great for presentations for work. This is the greatest benefit of a laptop.
2. network connectability on the run. With a laptop you can connect with a wireless network on the move.
3. Useful for presentations, or demonstrations. Easy to lug around.
4. Runs on a battery so can be used even when the power is out.
5. At times you can find a seller that has multiple laptops and wants to get rid of it. In this case you can get a low cost laptop for cheap, or I should say an expensive laptop at a new low cost laptop price.
Cons of a Laptop:
1. Maintenance is difficult. You usually have to hire a professional if something breaks or goes wrong. Since the parts for a laptop need to be smaller this also makes them more expensive.
2. Repairs cost more. Since repairs need a professional they usually cost more, for the service as well as for the parts.
3. Everything is smaller. Meaning if you want to use a full size keyboard you have to plug in an extra keyboard, which means you have to carry around a bulky keyboard. Same for a monitor or other external devices.
4. More expensive than a comparable desktop.
5. Easy for someone else to pick up and carry off without your knowledge.